Facing a DUI charge alone can be frightening and confusing. State DUI penalties are often severe, and the prospect of jail time can completely ruin the future. The sooner you hire a DUI law firm, the sooner your lawyer can start working to protect your freedom and your record.
Steps to Hiring a Good DUI Lawyer
As you set out to find a DUI law firm that you can trust with the responsibility of protecting your reputation and your future, remember that the strategy and attention to detail of your legal team can make all the difference in the outcome of your case.
Here’s a brief list of suggestions on how to choose your DUI lawyer.
- Begin by gathering the names of several DUI lawyers in your area from the DUI law firms listed on this website.
Search online for reviews and any press or other information related to the attorneys on your list. Visit the law firms’ web sites.
- Call each office to get detailed information about the lawyers you are considering.
- If you are satisfied with the details received over the phone, schedule a consultation to discuss your case. (Most DUI lawyers offer free consultations.) An initial meeting does not bind you to retaining that law firm.
- During the initial legal consultation, gather as much information as you can about the DUI lawyer and the entire law firm.
- Ask about past cases, their experience and background, and their legal strategies. Request information about DUI penalties, DUI tests, and the current laws in your state and ask them about how they would handle your case. See if they are able to provide valuable advice on the spot. Do they take time to answer your questions and seem to care about your situation?
Establishing Trust With Your DUI Law Firm
After a consultation, you should have a good idea whether or not you want to hire a particular lawyer. The key element is trust: If you feel like the law firm will do everything they can to help you and they know a great deal about DUI laws, consider hiring that lawyer to get started on your case.
With your name, your livelihood, and your future on the line, you can’t afford to settle for a mediocre DUI lawyer. You deserve an experienced legal professional who has a track record of successful outcomes for clients accused of driving under the influence. A lawyer who has worked within the DUI court system for years will have keen insight into how local judges interpret the existing laws and how to protect your interests. They may have established relationships with the judges and prosecutors, as well as a special understanding of the tactics that get results.
If you or a member of your family needs skilled DUI defense counsel, please click here to find a DUI law firm in your area.